MSB is pleased to offer a sign on bonus of up to $5000 to
any O&M Specialist that is hired by the school. Will discuss
during the interview process with qualified candidates!
: With supervision, provides Orientation and Mobility
services to children birth - 21 years of age and/or adult clients.
- Evaluates, develops, implements, monitors and reports on student
(IEP) on and off campus throughout the State of Maryland.
- Conducts in-service training programs on individual and group
basis and disseminates O&M information to others.
- Acts as an active department member, sharing responsibilities and workload.
- Participates in necessary school and student meetings and
completes related paperwork, adhering to established deadlines,
using proper punctuation, spelling and grammar.
- Transports students in personal vehicle to training sites.
- Stands and walks frequently, for lengthy periods of time; pushes
and pulls in excess of 100 pounds and lifts up to 50 pounds without
assistance; physically handles and assists other persons in the
performance of daily living activities.
- Speaks clearly and effectively with students, parents and colleagues.
Equipment Used: A variety of canes and adaptive
mobility devices, a variety of low vision devices, iPad, smartphones
& apps, recording systems, GPS devices, Braille writer, map making
equipment, vehicle, keyboard/computer equipment.
Performance Standard: Must assume 100% commitment to
collaborative, interdisciplinary service delivery model. Must assume
100% commitment to work with parents. Must also assure compliance with
all health, safety, and program standards.
Work Environment: Multiple indoor and outdoor
environments on and off campus with varying sound, lighting, and
Work Schedule: 21 day/evening hours per week with a
30-minute unpaid lunch break; flextime within the workday is
frequently required. Weekend or overnight hours may be required. This
position follows the standard ten-month school schedule (with the
additional requirement to cover summer programming, if needed). While
this is part time hours, it is still benefits eligible with paid time
off. **Position may increase in hours up to 35 per week. Will be
discussed during phone screen.
- Requires a minimum of O&M Certification by a recognized
University Program or Bachelor's Degree in O&M; is ACVREP
certified or certifiable* in the field of Orientation &
Mobility. (*ACVREP Certification must be obtained by the beginning
of the 2nd year.)
- Comprehensive knowledge of O&M techniques and teaching
approaches and their application to the instruction of students with
multiple disabilities and visual impairments/blindness.
- General knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the eye including
eye diseases and conditions.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required. Business
insurance is required within first month of employment.
MSB requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against
the COVID-19 virus by date of hire, with exceptions for approved
medical or religious accommodations, in order to safeguard the
health of our students, employees and their families from COVID-19
to the greatest extent possible.
After six months in this position, the employee is required to have:
- General knowledge and application of departmental
responsibilities, philosophies, and expectations.
- General knowledge and application of MSB related paperwork.
- Comprehensive knowledge of assigned students' O&M program needs.
- Certification in TCI and First Aid/CPR.
- Ability to cope with problems in the focused area of
responsibility, and to determine when to refer non-routine problems