MSB is pleased to offer a sign on bonus of $5000 to any
O&M Specialist that is a direct hire by the school. Will
discuss during the interview process with qualified candidates!
SUMMARY With supervision provides leadership to
Orientation and Mobility (O&M) Specialists to ensure creative and
competent O&M program development and delivery of services and
serves as direct service provider.
1. Provides departmental leadership, staff evaluation and staff representation.
2. Evaluates, develops, implements, provides, monitors, and reports
on student IEP O&M programs to students on and off campus
throughout the State of Maryland.
3. Conducts in-service training programs on individual and group
basis and disseminates O&M information to others.
4 Acts as an active department member, sharing responsibilities
5. Participates in necessary school and student meetings.
6. Transports students to training sites.
1. Performs additional duties as assigned.
Equipment Used: A variety of canes and adaptive
mobility devices; a variety of low vision devices; iPad, smartphones
& apps, recording systems, GPS devices, Braille writer, map making
equipment, vehicle, keyboard/computer equipment.
Performance Standard: Must assume 100% commitment to
collaborative, interdisciplinary service delivery model. Must assume
100% commitment to work with parents. Must also assure compliance
with all health, safety and program standards.
Work Environment: Multiple indoor and outdoor
environments on and off campus with varying sound, lighting and
Work Schedule: 35 day/evening hours per week, Monday
through Friday with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break; flextime within
the workday is frequently required; weekend or overnight hours are
required infrequently; this position follows the standard 11-month
- Requires a minimum of O&M Certification by a recognized
University Program or Bachelor's Degree in O&M; is ACVREP
certified in the field of Orientation & Mobility.
- Comprehensive knowledge of O&M techniques and teaching
approaches and their application to the instruction of
students/clients with multiple disabilities and visual impairments/blindness.
- Minimum five years experience as an O&M Specialist.
- General knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the eye including
eye diseases and conditions.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required. Business
insurance is required within first month of employment.
- Ability to effectively organize and share O&M information
during one-to-one discussions, small group activities, and large
- General knowledge of supervisory management techniques.
- Comprehensive staff evaluation techniques.
MSB requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against
the COVID-19 virus by date of hire, with exceptions for approved
medical or religious accommodations, in order to safeguard the
health of our students, employees and their families from COVID-19
to the greatest extent possible.
After six months in this position, the employee is required to have:
1. Comprehensive supervisory management techniques.
2. General knowledge and application of departmental
responsibilities, philosophies and expectations.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of assigned students' O&M needs program.
4. CPR/First Aid and TCI certification.